During the year 1925, there were just 5 shortwave stations on the air in the United States with a regular broadcasting schedule. These pioneer stations were operated by 4 different radio companies.
According to recent news items out of the Caribbean, the world’s newest independent republic celebrated its new status with flag ceremonies, a 21 gun salute, official speeches, and general merrymaking during the midnight hours of Monday November 29 and the early morning hours of Tuesday November 30 (2021).
The main island is known locally as Grande Terre, and also included in the territory of New Caledonia are nearby island clusters that are identified as the Loyalty Islands, the Isle of Pines, the Belep/Daos Islands, and the Chesterfield Islands, together with a few remote and uninhabited islets. We look at the radio scene in each of these islandic clusters, and we take them in the order of their population figures.
The Voice of America radio stations in the Philippine Islands, that subsequently became so well known throughout the international radio world, underwent a very small though very interesting beginning towards the end of the Pacific War in the middle of last century. In order to understand those early origins way back then, let’s go back to the year 1942. This is what happened.
New Caledonia is a verdant tropical island with a quarter million population and it lies close to a thousand miles off the east coast of Australia, and a thousand miles north of New Zealand. This French Overseas Territory is made up of more than 140 different islands, some 40 of which are inhabited.
Eclipse historians inform us that the first attempt to observe a solar eclipse from an airplane took place for an aerial observation of the Great American Eclipse which traversed the entire continental United States on June 8, 1918. This first occasion was a simple flight into the zone of totality with no attempt at any scientific research.
In 1939, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which is headquartered in Salt Lake City in Utah was interested in getting on the air on shortwave. They struck a deal through their mediumwave station KSL to buy shortwave station W9XAA…
The story of six local radio broadcasting stations that have been located on the island of Antigua, a British territory on the northeastern edge of the Caribbean. The stories associated with this cluster of local radio stations span more than half a century of interesting radio history.
The island called Antigua is the main island of the independent Commonwealth mini-country in the Caribbean that is identified under the twin title as Antigua and Barbuda.
Some thirty miles out west from Land’s End at the tip of the Cornish peninsular lie the Isles of Scilly, an archipelago of 140 islands, 5 of of which are inhabited. These Atlantic islands operate under their own separate local authority as part of the county of Cornwall, their main industry is tourism, and their main export is cut flowers (in particular daffodils) for the London market.
At the present time, the central Asian nation of Kazakhstan is celebrating the 100th anniversary of radio broadcasting in their country. It was in October 1921 that the first radio broadcasting station was inaugurated in the city of Orenburg, exactly one hundred years ago
An investigation of the early wireless scene on three separate islands, all tourist related islands, that are located off the northwest coast of the country of Wales in islandic Europe. These three islands are identified as Holy, South Stack, and Anglesey, and we begin with the Marconi wireless scene at Holyhead on Holy Island back in the year 1901.
During its 20 years of operation in the Pittsburgh area, the Westinghouse KDKA stations utilized a dozen or more main and subsidiary shortwave transmitters, ranging in power from less than one kW right up to 50 kW.
When it was constructed in 1970, the mediumwave and shortwave station of All India Radio at Leh in Kashmir was listed as the World’s Highest Radio Station, and it has survived, fire, flood and snow during its half century history. As Jose Jacob VU2JOS in Hyderabad India informs us, AIR Radio Kashmir Leh recently celebrated its Golden Jubilee, its 50th anniversary, on Friday June 25 (2021).
In this feature we present Part 1 in an interesting series of wedding events under the title, Radio Weddings. We begin our first story way back more than one hundred years ago, at the time when the coastal steamer SS Princess Anne was commuting the Atlantic coast of the United States.
Modern geographers inform us that the world’s most isolated island is the barren, frozen and windswept island called Bouvet, in the South Atlantic Ocean. This small uninhabited island is located somewhere between South America, South Africa, and Antarctica, more than a thousand miles distant from each continent.
The first location for KDKA mediumwave and shortwave was atop the eight story high Building K at the Westinghouse factory at East Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. Building K was the tallest building in this large manufacturing complex and the fledgling KDKA, studio and transmitter, was installed in a wooden shack at the western end of this flat roof.
Wireless came to Bougainville more than 100 years ago with the installation of Australian made AWA equipment which was taken into service in January 1916 under the Australian callsign VIU. In those days, many of the closer Pacific Islands that had been annexed by the United Kingdom were administered from Australia.
The South Pacific nation of New Zealand is made up of two major home islands, the North Island and the South Island, together with an estimated 600 outlier islands. South of the South Island, and on each side of the stormy Foveaux Strait, lie a dozen or more small islands, only one of which is inhabited.
The interesting story of mediumwave radio broadcasting in the South American country of Brazil can be traced back to its very earliest beginnings, in the year 1922, when a temporary demonstration station was installed in what was back then their national capital city, Rio de Janeiro. The Independence Centenary International Exposition, as it was known in English, was open for a little over half a year and it was staged as a 100th anniversary celebration of Brazilian independence.