In 2002 radio station 3BBR-FM, West Gippsland Community Radio Inc, located in Drouin, Victoria, Australia, produced two radio programs on the radio history of the Gippsland region. These were part of a larger “Gippsland Heritage” series of documentaries.
A CD containing the two radio history episodes was donated to our archives and the audio is now available online. The programs were produced by Lynn Wells and Max Gibson.
“Gippsland Heritage”: Original air date 15 September 2002
- Alva “Mac” McLeannan: Starting off as a technician in radio in the 30’s.
- Max Taylor: Starting as an announcer in radio.
- Max Taylor: 3YB; development of 3UL; early history of 3UL; outside broadcasting; Vern Haycroft.
- SONG: “They Don’t Make Them Like That Any More” – Troy Cassar Daley.
- Max Taylor: Madeline Burke and Rob Bond; programs; sports; announcing in the early days.
- SONG: “Get Out Those Old Records” – Mary Martin and Larry Hagman.
“Gippsland Heritage”: Original air date 22 September 2002
- MUSIC: “Blue Hills Rhapsody”.
- Max Gibson: establishing radio in country Victoria – 3FB.
- Jean Gooding: testing reception.
- Max Gibson: 3TR.
- Ron Schmidt: Technician at 3FB/3TR.
- SfX Town Hall clock chimes.
- Ron Schmidt: 3TR shifts to Sale – programs, services, records, equipment, transmission.
- Max Gibson: Current provision of radio services in Gippsland.
- Max Gibson: Early programming – serials, children’s shows.
- Jean Gooding: 3TR children’s shows (Trafalgar).
- Max Gibson: Programs – wrestling.
- SONG: “Little Betty Bouncer” – Flotsam and Jetsam.
- Max Taylor: Early history of 3BBR-FM.
- Tom Straughair: Address on opening day of broadcasting of West Gippsland Community Radio 13th May 1995.
- Commissioner Wayne Hardy: Official opening of 3BBR-FM.