Archive

Tag: New York

Independent Radio Station WMCA

After first testing as station 2XH, WMCA began regular transmission on February 1, 1925, broadcasting on 428.6 meters wavelength (700 kHz) with a power of 500 watts. It was the 13th radio station to begin operations in New York City and was owned by broadcasting pioneer Donald Flamm. The station’s original studios and antenna were located at the Hotel McAlpin, located on Herald Square and from which the WMCA call sign derives.